Monday, June 13, 2011

The weather. Baking. And Jesus.

It's a cool and breezy morning here in Saint Paul. It's amazing how much change can happen in just a few short days. 102 degrees was the high just last Tuesday. This past weekend we were in the 60's. Our house went from feeling like Grandma's attic to an igloo (okay, it's not that bad, but I'm wearing socks and a sweater today, so it's kinda on the cold side). I'm beginning to feel like our house will never feel just right. :p

When I opened the door this morning and breathed in the fresh cool air, I was taken back a couple of weeks ago to the North Shore. Such a beautiful spot on this great big world. It seems just like yesterday that we were all up there. I love the drive up through Duluth, to Grand Marais. The scenery when we make our yearly trip to Indiana is blah and the drive seems to take forever. Just the opposite when one heads north. To me, the drive passes by quickly (unless one is stuck in construction traffic for 2 hours).




These are just a few of my favorite pictures from our trip. When I look at them, all I see is God. He's the Artist of all artists. The sky that day was particularly beautiful (especially considering how stormy and dark the day before was).
On days like today, when one isn't oppressed with heat, I find myself wanting to bake. I have a whole list of goodies that I want to mix up and bake. As I type, I'm munching on a Soft Brown Sugar cookie with Browned Butter Frosting. If you like big fluffy "melt-in-your-mouth" cookies, you'll probably like these. They're certainly not a pretty cookie and I tend to like more texture to my cookie, but after a few bites, I kind of liked them. It's nice to have a soft cookie every now and then. And who doesn't like browned butter frosting?! Yum!

I made Empanadas the other day which called for pie dough. I decided to make a double-batch of dough so I could make an actual pie. I'm thinking Apple-Rhubarb, or the ever popular Strawberry-Rhubarb. I just need to find a recipe that looks appealing. Sometime next weekend I want to try my hand at making this Cinnamon Roll Cake. It looks intriguing. I'm on a cinnamon roll mash-up kick lately. Peter woke up yesterday morning after dreaming about my cinnamon roll pancakes. Too bad we slept in and were already rushing to get ready for church. Maybe we'll have breakfast for dinner some night this week. ;) I'm a little afraid to make the Cinnamon Roll Cake, because I know we can't eat all of it by ourselves (well, we could...but we shouldn't). :p We'll see, maybe I'll get brave and try to cut the recipe in half.

I woke up this morning with this Glorious Day song in my head. Such a beautiful song to wake up to. We sang it in church yesterday morning and right before we got home, we heard it again on the radio. I'm sure it's a popular song, but for some reason when we sang it yesterday morning, it was the first time I took notice of it. I found tears welling up in my eyes towards the end of the song. How beautiful the sound that trumpet will make! As I was youtubing it (is that even a word?), I realized that it's actually an old hymn. Growing up in a church where all we sang were hymns, my curiosity was peaked and so I looked it up. Sure enough, I recognized it and remembered singing it quite a bit as a child. I never felt any emotion while singing the old hymn. It's amazing how a different and more modern arrangement can make such a world of difference and stir precious emotions within me (I feel the same way towards the "new" arrangement of A Mighty Fortress is Our God).

I know it's kinda cheesy to post an insane amount of lyrics to one's blog, but this song is well worth it. The lyrics are powerful and full of truth and hope. Who doesn't need a dose of that every now and then? You may choose to read the lyrics to the tune of the old hymn (if you know it), or to the newer arrangement (my personal fave) with the youtube video found below. Whichever version makes Jesus more precious to you, I highly recommended that version.

Glorious Day (living He Loved Me)

One day when Heaven was filled with His praises
One day when sin was as black as could be
Jesus came forth to be born of a virgin
Dwelt among men, my example is He
Word became flesh and the light shined among us
His glory revealed

Living He loved me!
Dying He saved me!
Buried He carried my sins far away!
Rising He justified!
Freely forever!
One day He’s coming!
Oh glorious day!
Oh glorious day

One day they led Him up Calvary’s mountain
One day they nailed Him to die on a tree
Suffering anguish, despised and rejected
Bearing our sins, my Redeemer is He
Hands that healed nations, stretched out on a tree
He took the nails for me!

Living He loved me!
Dying He saved me!
Buried He carried my sins far away!
Rising He justified!
Freely forever!
One day He’s coming!
Oh glorious day!
Oh glorious day!

One day the grave could conceal Him no longer
One day the stone rolled away from the door
Then He arose, over death He had conquered
Now is ascended, my Lord evermore
Death could not hold Him, the grave could not keep Him
From rising again

Living He loved me!
Dying He saved me!
Buried He carried my sins far away!
Rising He justified!
Freely forever!
One day He’s coming!
Oh glorious day!
Oh glorious day!
Glorious day!

One day the trumpet will sound for His coming
One day the skies with His glories will shine
Wonderful day, my Beloved One bringing
My Savior Jesus is mine

Living He loved me!
Dying He saved me!
Buried He carried my sins far away!
Rising He justified!
Freely forever!
One day He’s coming!
Oh glorious day!
Oh glorious day!
Glorious day!
Oh glorious day

No comments:

Post a Comment

Currently

I only follow a few blogs still - they come through my email and if they look interesting, I'll click on the link. That's what happe...