Saturday, January 16, 2010

Why I like Aldi


Never in my wildest dreams did I think that I would ever post about my love of Aldi. I used to shop there with my Grandma when I was little and always thought that it was a strange and bizarre place. Instead of putting our purchased food in bags like you would at a normal store, we would put ours in boxes that were laying around in the store (they charge for their bags, so you either bring your own bags or you pay for them)...and back in the day, they were always closed on Sundays. But now that I'm a wife and mother, I'm finding myself shopping there more and more - it helps that it's just down the street from us. Here are just a few things I'll highlight about Aldi.

1. The food there is inexpensive. Granted there are still some items that I can get cheaper at Wal-Mart (Milk & eggs just to name a couple), but all in all, everything else is way cheaper then local grocery stores.

2. It's not a HUGE store and yet they carry pretty much everything that I need on a week to week basis when it comes to groceries. I especially love the inexpensive fruit and produce! For example today I got the following: 1 whole fresh pineapple, 4lbs oranges, 3lbs apples, 5 bananas and 4 pears, all for $5.43!! Amazing, right?! Anyway, because it's not huge, I find that I get my shopping done A LOT faster. Even the checkout lanes when they're backed up go faster then those at other grocery stores.

3. Because they charge for their bags (one of the ways they keep their prices low, that and they don't have to pay people to carrel carts - awesome $.25 cent system) I am reminded to bring my echo-friendly bags. It's nice to come home and have everything in my sturdy colorful bags rather then having to deal with plastic.

So those are my top 3 (plus some) favorite things about Aldi. Here's a little trivia, did you know that Aldi and Trader Joes are owned by the same man? Pretty interesting. Anyway, I'll sign off now before I bore everyone to tears with my blog about a grocery store - lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Currently

I only follow a few blogs still - they come through my email and if they look interesting, I'll click on the link. That's what happe...