Skip to main content

A clean house?! What's the occasion?

We're having company over tonight. We haven't had company over in a long time...probably since Simon's birthday in August. I like having people over for the obvious reasons: socializing, eating and laughing.  The not-so-obvious part, being that it forces me to clean. I dislike cleaning. I love the end results, but I hate that is doesn't last. Before the night is over, you probably wouldn't even know that I spent countless hours, dusting, vacuuming and de-cluttering (how did we get so many toys?!). It's well worth the effort though and I'm sure my husband wishes we had people over more often...just for the clean house. ;)

I find that I have to be SUPER organized when it comes to hosting. A clean house, dinner (salad, homemade French baguettes, loaded potato soup, apple/rhubarb crisp and vanilla ice cream...), a presentable me AND kids, doesn't come easily and they all must come together relatively at the same time.

I have a few lists laying around the kitchen counters (the only safe spot in my kitchen where the boys can't destroy) and they all pertain to different things. Food: What I'm making, when to make it, when to have it ready, etc. Schedule for the day. To-do list for the day: Clean, cook, get ready, etc. On top of all of that I have a list running through my head: Miles' schedule, naps, waking up, bottle, etc. Simon's schedule: school, pbs time, nap, etc.  If I didn't write things down, I'm sure my head would eXpLoDe.

I'm so thankful for busy days like this. It gets me up off my butt, and I find that I have way more energy when I have a to-do list to go off of. Plus, the boys seem to be happier, when I'm popping in and out and not so readily available to their every whim - weird, I know. Not to mention I'm really looking forward to the fellowship that we'll have with this sweet couple tonight. I'm SO grateful for happy boys today too, I don't think I would be sane if they were like they were yesterday - crabby, whiny and against naps. Yay for happy cooperative boys (hopefully that lasts throughout the evening...). 

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We are His portion and He is our prize...

I've had this song in my head for a few days now. I love Kim Walkers voice and the passion that she portrays in this song. McMillan did a wonderful job in writing this song, the lyrics are so profound and encouraging and...different (the "sloppy wet kiss" part makes me smile). I especially love the first part of this song...

He is jealous for me,
Loves like a hurricane, I am a tree,
Bending beneath the weight of his wind and mercy.
When all of a sudden,
I am unaware of these afflictions eclipsed by glory,
And I realize just how beautiful You are,
And how great Your affections are for me.



He is jealous for me,
Loves like a hurricane, I am a tree,
Bending beneath the weight of his wind and mercy.
When all of a sudden,
I am unaware of these afflictions eclipsed by glory,
And I realize just how beautiful You are,
And how great Your affections are for me.

And oh, how He loves us so,
Oh how He loves us,
How He loves us all

Yeah, He loves us,
Whoa! how He loves us,
Whoa! how He loves …

My favorite flower. The peony.

The peony is my favorite flower. They have always held a special place in my heart. For as long as I can remember, they've grown in my childhood backyard. My mom has a plant from the house I was born in, their current house - the house I grew up in - and a plant from my Great-Grandma. As kids, we would watch in awe as the ants crawled over the peony buds, almost willing them to open. It was a chore getting those little suckers off once the flowers were ready to be cut and brought into the house. But it was worth the effort.

My dad has always commented that the flowers smell like old lady perfume. Haha!  I still think of that when I bring the blooms up to my nose for a whiff of Spring. They're such a romantic flower. I wanted them for my bridal bouquet, but they had already stopped blooming by the time June 3rd rolled around. So sad.

Apartment living was dreary for me when it came to flowers. No lilacs, tulips or peonies. When we moved to our current house, I was …

Be Still, My Soul. Remembering...

My first post of 2014.

Looking back on my last post, I'm overwhelmed with many emotions. It was the last post before our world was turned upside down, before the cold weather hit hard, before doctor visits became our norm. Before Halloween, Thanksgiving, my 30th birthday, Christmas and New Years. Looking back at the title of that post, I'm struck with how appropriate it was for the rest of the year. I tried to blog a few times since October 13th. But I never got to the point where I felt like I could publish. I had a million and one thoughts constantly tumbling around in my tiny mind. Writing helped to unload it, but just like it is with my trusty old dishwasher, there's always dirty dishes to take the place of the clean ones and I found myself overwhelmed and overcome with both good and bad...clean and dirty. My brain has felt like mush since October. Add holidays, getting sick, taking care of sickies, being the strong one, being the brave one, being the hea…