Monday, March 1, 2010

What to do?


I've always had a hard time feeding my child. It started with breastfeeding and is now continuing on with solids. There was a very brief time where he would eat anything and everything we gave him, but that didn't last very long.

Currently, he's the most picky little-kid eater I've met. He closes his eyes and shakes his head when he doesn't want to eat and that happens often (I do have to admit, the closing of his eyes is pretty cute...it's almost like he's saying I can't see it, therefore it's not there). Dinnertime with my little family has become a struggle. I hate that. I used to look forward to dinner, sitting with my husband hearing about his day, enjoying our time as we all sat down together. Now it's a constant battle to get Simon to eat...and eat the right way. When he doesn't want to eat, he often times makes a big mess, playing with his food flinging it here and there. To make matter's worse, Simon has also become quite the independent little boy. He hit 18 months and wants to do everything himself and in his own way. ((Yes, Mom he got his strong will from me)). It's cute watching him try his hand at different things, but when it comes to eating he hardly gets a bite in his mouth. He's enamored with stirring and and playing with his food and forgets that the food actually goes into his mouth. He hates it when I take the spoon from his hand and tries to feed him. When I do succeed in getting food into his mouth, he promptly spits it out. It's frustrating to both myself and my little boy. He hates veggies and mostly anything that's good for him (does he ever love empty carbs though!). He does enjoy a nice bowl of oatmeal or hot cereal every so often, so that's nice. I've tried pureeing veggies into his oatmeal, but he's getting wise and figuring out the scam.

I want my little one to eat properly and enjoy the good healthy stuff. I hate forcing it upon him and don't want him to have a food complex growing up. Feeding my child ranks high on my Most Frustrating Things About Motherhood list.

So, if any of my dear mommy friends have any advice or wise words of wisdom for me, I would greatly appreciate hearing them. Until then, all I can do is pray and wait patiently. I really do hope that this is just a phase that he's going through.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Currently

I only follow a few blogs still - they come through my email and if they look interesting, I'll click on the link. That's what happe...