Thursday, June 20, 2013

My favorite flower. The peony.

The peony is my favorite flower. They have always held a special place in my heart. For as long as I can remember, they've grown in my childhood backyard. My mom has a plant from the house I was born in, their current house - the house I grew up in - and a plant from my Great-Grandma. As kids, we would watch in awe as the ants crawled over the peony buds, almost willing them to open. It was a chore getting those little suckers off once the flowers were ready to be cut and brought into the house. But it was worth the effort.

Image

My dad has always commented that the flowers smell like old lady perfume. Haha!  I still think of that when I bring the blooms up to my nose for a whiff of Spring. They're such a romantic flower. I wanted them for my bridal bouquet, but they had already stopped blooming by the time June 3rd rolled around. So sad.

Image

Apartment living was dreary for me when it came to flowers. No lilacs, tulips or peonies. When we moved to our current house, I was overwhelmed with gratitude when I noticed a huge supply of lilacs, tulips, hydrangeas (my wedding flowers) and a couple peony bushes. I was not prepared for the beauty of the latter flower though.

Image

Sadly, this year my second peony plant failed to yield any flowers. They were my favorite too. a delicate pink with a HUGE tissue paper-like petal with a bright yellow center. They were so fragile looking. I'm sad they didn't do well this Spring. But seeing how awfully weird this Spring has been, I shouldn't be surprised. I hope they come back next year!!

Image
^Picture taken last year. June 2012
What's your favorite flower? Do you have them growing in your yard...or are they on your wish list? I have a huge wishlist. My poor husband. 

Someday...

Image

1 comment:

  1. beautiful!! I love peonies, they are so delicate and graceful. Hope your second plant yields flowers next year!

    ReplyDelete

Currently

I only follow a few blogs still - they come through my email and if they look interesting, I'll click on the link. That's what happe...