Friday, December 3, 2010

27 birthdays.

Today, I turn 27...at 1:09pm to be exact. I remember my mom turning that age. I was 6 when she turned 27. For some reason that's the only age that stands out in my mind when it comes to my mom's birthdays. I've always looked forward to turning 27 for that reason. Every year, I would think: I'm one year closer. I remember wondering where I would be at that age. Would I be married? Would I have 3 kids like my mom? I told her the other day that her 27th birthday stands out to me and I didn't know why. She got all somber and said that was a meaningful year for her. Her dad had died when he was 27...leaving a precious 7 year old fatherless. I now understand why 27 stands out in my mind. It must have been such a hard and emotional age for her to experience knowing that her Dad's life was cut so short. Especially going through that as a mother of three little ones.

It's crazy to think that my mom now has a 27 year old. How and when did that happen? In all honesty, I still feel like a young 21 year old. It's hard to believe that I'm only 3 years away from 30!!

Thinking about birthdays and deaths don't usually go together, but this year especially I've been hit with how precious life is. I have quite a few friends who are living through infertility. I also know of a few accaintences that have lost precious babies (a missionary family from our church just lost their 18 day old baby boy)...and older loved ones alike. It's quite sobering. It's made me extra grateful for the loved ones that I still have here on earth.

The older I get though, the older my Grandparents and parents get. My Grandfather (my mom's step-dad), just had a stroke on Tuesday night. I dread those phone calls. I'm glad that he's still alive and thriving. He's definitely not himself, but he's alive! I thank God that most of my loved ones know that there's hope after death. There's no fear in death for we shall be alive in Christ in brilliant and beautiful *new* bodies! Such a amazing gift and truth.

This post really wasn't meant to be about death. But about life and a hope for what's to come. I'm grateful for my life. For the privilege of being a daughter, a sister, a friend, a wife and a mother. I'm grateful for life.



1 comment:

  1. Great post, Jes! I like your thoughts.
    I've been thinking much along the same lines this year.

    ReplyDelete

Currently

I only follow a few blogs still - they come through my email and if they look interesting, I'll click on the link. That's what happe...