Thursday, January 26, 2012

Breakfast.

Breakfast is and always has been tricky for me. I'm not a fan of eggs in the morning (or anytime for that matter - I'm usually okay with them if I eat them in the afternoon or evening, but usually those times are hit and miss times too). I can only have so much oatmeal before I get tired of it. Grits, malt-o-meal and toast are the same way. Cold cereal tastes better in the evening. My favorite breakfast foods are: waffles, pancakes, crepes, and french toast (bacon and hashbrowns on the side please!). Totally not healthy choices. If I could (and I usually do when I'm not pregnant) I would gladly skip breakfast. Tsk, tsk - I know.

This morning, I found myself craving crepes. I wasn't in the mood to make them and my conscience was alive and active telling me to pick something "healthy". Pancakes sounded good and easy...and I remembered pinning a Biggest Loser Pancake Recipe a few days ago. I was all psyched to make them, only to discover that I didn't have cottage cheese. Hrumph. I wasn't about to give up though as my stomach was growling and the little voice inside my head was screaming EAT! You're growing a baby! Nothing else sounded good at the moment. So I whipped out my phone and googled healthy oatmeal pancakes. I clicked on the first link and was happy to indeed find a healthy recipe. Oats, 1% milk, Oat Flour, Egg Whites, Baking Powder, a little bit of Salt and Cinnamon. Presto! Preparing them was fun, grilling them up was easy and with a drizzle of honey and some chopped apples on top, they were delicious.  I'm definitely going to be making these babies again soon. I might have to make a full batch next time though, because Simon devoured his and wanted more...and I did too. :)  

So, with all that said. What's your favorite breakfast food (healthy or naughty)?


Pin It
Oatmeal Pancake Recipe - Heart Healthy!
Makes 10 oatmeal pancakes

Ingredients:

1 cup fat free milk (or water)*
3/4 cup oatmeal (uncooked, quick or regular oats)
3/4 cup oatmeal flour (How to Make Oatmeal Flour)
1 tsp baking powder (optional)
1/4 tsp salt (optional)
4 large egg whites 
1/2 tsp cinnamon, ground

Directions: 
Heat milk (or water) until hot, stir in oats and set aside. Beat egg whites into a stiff foam with hand mixer or blender and reserve. Mix remaining dry ingredients together and stir in oatmeal/milk mixture. Fold in egg whites until mixture is well blended.  . Spray pan with nonstick spray and cook pancakes until browned on both sides.  

*Depending on how long you've let the oats sit, you may need to add a little extra water to the batter to thin it out.  It will still be thicker than regular pancake batter


Nutritional Information for 5 Pancakes:
Per Serving: Calories- 313 Carbs- 48.8g Protein- 19.5g Fat- 4.5g Fiber- 6.3g

No comments:

Post a Comment

Currently

I only follow a few blogs still - they come through my email and if they look interesting, I'll click on the link. That's what happe...